Thursday, February 5, 2015

2015 Anticipation

Well, I covered last year, so let's look ahead to what this season looks to bring!

For starters, I'm working with a new coach this year! It's not that my coach last year did a bad job, it's just that there was a 45 minute drive one way any time I wanted/needed fact-to-face interaction, plus the organization jumped the prices to a level that is out of my reach currently. Nothing against them, but the overall picture didn't make much sense for me.

My new coach has already been great, getting heart rate zones set for me, building a great plan week by week that matches my current fitness level, and offering suggestions on form and drills to improve on it.

I started my training on December 1, hoping to make big strides in my run and set a good base down for my swim and bike. I've already noticed enormous improvements in my run times, dropping below 8:00/mile average on nearly every run now. In February. Three months before the season really even starts. Yeah, I'm excited.

As I noted in my last post, my biggest weakness is my run. I've spent too many races suffering through the run and watching the podium run past me. I've had enough. So this year I'm making it a point to focus on improving my run, if not to run faster than my competitors then at least fast enough to hold them off. I've been working on transitioning to a different gait, focusing on a fore-foot strike, and emphasizing the kicking out on my push off. So far it's going well, and I'm doing drills in my plan to get better.

Anticipated Races

In 2015, since I'm focused on improving my run, I've signed up for events that I might not have in the past. Here's a list of events that I'm either doing, or hope to be doing, and links so you can join me!

*Events I've registered for

*No Luck Run, Half-Marathon, March 14
This is a good opportunity to get out and get some distance early in the season. I may or may not have been pressured into signing up for this race, but it's a good thing. It's local, it's put on by a good company, and there's free beer at the finish line. Green beer.

http://www.active.com/plainfield-in/running/races/no-luck-irish-run-2015?int=

*500 Festival Mini Marathon, May 2
Running this one with N, a good chance for us to be fit and active together! This is going to be her first half marathon, and she is super pumped. We're hoping to hit 10:00/mile average.

http://www.500festival.com/node/101



Cicero Triathlon, sprint distance, June 20
Ran this in 2014 and enjoyed it, a high energy short course race that I'm hoping to complete in under 1:00:00 this year!

http://www.heartlandendurance.c
om/event/cicero-triathlon/


Winona Lake Triathlon, sprint distance, June 27
One of the most beautiful races in Northern Indiana, and some stiff competition as well. This one provides us with a great reason to go north to visit N's family as well, and since it's close to Father's Day we'll be able to celebrate that while we're there!

Ironman 70.3 Muncie, Half-Ironman distance, July 11
This is the big one again. This is the one I'm shooting for. I haven't decided on a highly specific time goal yet for this year, outside of definitely finishing in under 6:00:00 this year. As we get closer, a time goal will make itself apparent. If you aren't able to join me in racing, I would LOVE to have your support on the course!! It is always meaningful when you see and hear someone you know cheering you on!

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/muncie/register.aspx#axzz3Qtcw6JGm

Monsterman Triathlon, sprint distance, September 12
Formerly known as the Lake Lemon Triathlon, this course really is a monster. Interesting name change. I placed 2nd in my age group last year, and it's a fun end of the season test in an unbelievable part of Indiana. Absolutely the prettiest triathlon I did last season.

http://cross-roads-events.com/monsterman/






I'm looking for other races all the time, so if you have one that you particularly enjoy or think I should check out let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment